Friday, September 5, 2008

If a tree falls....

in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? If some one posts an article to a blog and no one comments on it ......

No not my blog.

Week 4: Read and make a comment on an article in 'School Libraries Worldwide' ezine. One of the sessions I attended at conference was "Sparking a worldwide conversation on School Libraries 2.0" by Marlene Asselin and Ray Doiron of Canada. Marlene and Ray are co editors of School Libraries Worldwide special topic issue on New Learners, New Literacies and New Libraries. Already this magazine has been the subject of a post on the New Zealand Librarians listserv. The post encouraged people to read the articles.

I read Ross Todd's article

Article 2: Youth and their Virtual Networked Worlds: Research Findings and Implications for School Libraries


which was challenging to me in several ways. I won't discuss all of that here because I did post a comment. I guess my issue is this - it is the first comment. Does that mean no one is reading the articles - I'd like to think not. Does it mean no one is willing to post a comment - probably. Are discussions harder on an online environment like a blog? Are some online environments more conducive to discussions? The article did raise some things for me to work through in my school - thanks Ross.

I saw this line on a teeshirt when I was in Phoenix, Arizona recently "If a man speaks in a desert, and no women are around to hear him, is he still wrong?" Perhaps we could come up with something pithy for what happens if a blogger posts a blog and no one comments.....

2 comments:

artichoke said...

Blog commenting is interesting to think about ... there is the whole idea of bloggers as attention whores ... why else do we post our thinking online and leave the facility for commenting open ...we all crave comments ... but sometimes the comments we attract are close to self abuse behaviours I am not talking blogger frottage but rather those generic blog comments with self linkage ...is really a spam comment ... something along the lines of I love your blog have you seen mine [insert link] to their own space thus pumping up their link count ... I have one sitting on my blog at the moment ... whether I delete them or not depends on my mood

I suspect that sometimes the lack of a comment on Artichoke means that no one understands what I am talking about in the post ... but sometimes it means that the ideas are just too dangerous to comment on when working for an institution in Nz ... this is a very small place ... in these cases .. the post looks somewhat forlorn but people email me instead ...and I do have a few "anonymous" commenters

I looked at the quality of blog commenting rather than the absence of any comment in this Artichoke post The other is a cheaper thing but the moths get into it You might enjoy the responses from other bloggers

Amanda Bond said...

Thanks for the link to your discussion about commenting on blogs.I did enjoy the comments as much as the post. That is why we do participate in discussion using blogs - so people will respond, debate, leave pithy one liners or challenge our own faulty thinking. I am writing this blog to think aloud and for a long time did not publish it at all. I guess that is the same as talking to oneself.It is also a useful record of ideas explored last week, last month and even last year. Great that a blog discussion in September 2007 has an echo in September 2008. Now I will try to challenge my librarian colleagues to participate in School Libraries Worldwide.

blogs I watch

  • http://alangibbons.net/
  • http://hubinfo.wordpress.com/
  • http://librariesusingevidence.blogspot.com/
  • http://schoollibrarydisplays.blogspot.com/
  • http://skerricks.blogspot.com/

Christchurch City Libraries Blog